Friday, April 27, 2007

A. He stayed up all night wondering if there was a dog.

Q. Did you hear the one about the dyslexic atheist who had insomnia?

But seriously folks...I often struggle to justify my belief in G-d and religion. For example, I debated whether to use the dash in that previous sentence and what the point of using the dash was. People who are smarter than me make convincing arguments that religion is all crap and all it does is lead to war and suffering. I see their point, but I'm never convinced. I'm not going to try to make my case here, but I saw this quote today in an interesting article about Einstein and his views on religion and I thought I would share. When asked "Do you believe in G-d?", Albert answered:

“I’m not an atheist. I don’t think I can call myself a pantheist. The problem involved is too vast for our limited minds. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangement of the books but doesn’t know what it is. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward G-d. We see the universe marvelously arranged and obeying certain laws but only dimly understand these laws.”

Here is a link to the whole article for those who are interested.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home