Thursday, September 21, 2006

Losing My Mind

Last night was the worst pet night ever. I must admit, I shed a few tears.

We're making the trip to Orlando for Rosh Hashanah this weekend and we'd decided we were going to board Teddy at a cageless kennel for the weekend. The (sucky) vet we saw last week said he was up-to-date on all of his vaccinations, so we thought we met all of teh kennel requirements. Well, the kennel looked at his file and said he was missing one and, not having much time before we leave on friday, I made him another vet appointment for yesterday evening to get the shot. Then we learn that it takes 3-5 days for the vaccine to be effective - which means we might not be able to board Teddy at all. Adam left work early anyway to take him for the shot, hoping it would all work out.

I'd made Jack Bauer an appointment with the vet for the same night (in advance of the Teddy fiasco) because his eye has gone crazy. Again. Jack's appointment was an hour after Teddy's, so I had to leave work to go get Jack and get him there by 6:40. The vet was 35 minutes behind schedule. At 7:15, we began our appointment, and 10 or 15 minutes later it was over. There was nothing the doctor could do for us, so she referred us to another doctor. I asked if it was possible to weigh Jack because I was nervous he wasn't eating enough because of the stress of Teddy. Good thing I play a vet on TV - turns out he's down to 7.5 pounds from 10. At 7:30, I began what would become a 55 minute wait just to pay $55 for the non-appointment. I had the worst headache EVER, was starving, frustrated, exhausted, and had a terrified cat in tow.

By the time I got home, the dog was going crazy and had shredded Adam's favorite pants. Teddy's weird insanity is new and unwelcomed. How can he be so good and so psycho at the flip of a switch? Teddy was in his crate and I was holding Jack, when usually even-keeled Jack flipped out and attacked my head to get away from (caged) Ted! My face just crumpled up and I cried like an idiot for a few minutes. Teddy was a loud pain in the butt the whole rest of the night.

Adam dropped Teddy off at the cageless kennel place this morning for "orientation" - how ridiculous?! They just called and told us that - look away if you have a weak stomach - there is blood and other icky stuff in his stool. Great. Adam tried to call the vet to ask: a) is this a result of yesterday's vaccination, b) why they didn't catch whatever this is the first time we paid $30 to have his poop smeared on a slide, c) why he just had an expensive "check-up" last weekend that consisted of a lot of talking and not a whole lot of "checking up" - and now he's potentially too ill for us to leave him with a kennel for our trip to Florida.

Luckily, the guy at A Dog's Best Friend is the only nice, sane, competant pet care person in this town. He's actually driving Teddy to the vet as we speak for an emergency appointment.

What if he's sick? And sad? What if we can't board him this weekend? What if Teddy and JAck can't get along? What have we gotten ourselves into?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home